The most awaited report on Internet trends is informally called the Mary Meeker report, which she began producing in 1995. Little by little, Mary Meeker’s internet trend report has increased in number of charts to over 300, and its observations on the world of digital have come to represent the state of the nation, if not the world.
Here are some of the key points:
- 3.8 billion people are internet users. Use is increasing on cellphone and decreasing on computer.
- 7 of the 10 world’s most valuable companies by market cap are tech companies. Berkshire Hathaway, Visa, and J&J are the other 3.
- E-commerce is 15 percent of retail sales.
- Internet ad spending accelerated in the US, up 22 percent in 2018. Most of the spending is still on Google and Facebook, but companies like Amazon and Twitter are getting a growing share.
- Customer acquisition costs are going up.
- Over 25% of US adults say they’re constantly online.
- People communicate through images.
- Education is increasingly online
- Health care is steadily becoming more digitized. Expect more telemedicine and on-demand consultations